University of Hawai‘i
Research Compliance

About Animal and Veterinary Services

Veterinary Services

The Office of the University Veterinarian (UV) has system-wide responsibilities for overseeing the health and well-being and clinical care of all vertebrate animals used by institutions in the system, as required by United States federal law. As such, the Office of the UV provides at least quarterly to semi-annual scheduled visits to facilities where vertebrate animals are housed or used for research, teaching, or testing. The Office of the UV may provide veterinary care for animals used on specific protocols.

Operating the Vivaria

AVS operates the vivaria, one located in the Biomedical Sciences Building on the UH Mānoa campus and the other at the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) campus in Kaka‘ako. AVS provides daily care of animals in the vivaria used for biomedical and neurosciences research, teaching, and testing.

Researcher Responsibilities

As a UH investigator or research personnel member involved with the care and use of animals, you must be adequately educated, trained, and/or qualified in basic principles of laboratory animal sciences to help ensure high-quality science and animal well-being. Refer to our page on New Animal Users for more information on training and other requirements.

If you plan to use vertebrate animals for research, testing, teaching, or other activities on behalf of the University of Hawai‘i, you must submit an animal care and use protocol and receive prior approval by the IACUC before beginning work. All protocols are submitted online via the Topaz system. Refer to the Animal Welfare Program homepage for more information about IACUC approval.